Sunday, September 12, 2010

9/11 lights

One of the greatest challenges any photographer faces is an iconic subject. Every year on 9/11 the city puts up the 9/11 lights. For me, it's a lovely tribute. A memorial that only exists for a few hours a year. A poignant reminder of the day when the towers fell. 

Of course this tribute draws a lot of photographers. This year I went down to the new Pier 1 park in Brooklyn Heights to get some new vantage points. It wasn't a very original idea as I walked into the park to see dozens of photographers lined along the edge of the park with their tripods set up, shooting away.

Now when I'm confronted with a pack of photographers all shooting the exact same thing, I generally run in the opposite direction, and that's exactly what I did. I wandered into the park and along the waterfront to get my views. As far as I could tell, I was the only photographer there, although I'm betting some folks wandered along the same way either before or after me. Still I think I got some interesting shots this year. Let me know what you think. 























No comments: